/etc/rc.d/init.d and LSB

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 6 15:49:36 PDT 2002

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 12:59:28PM -0400, Jeffrey B. Ferland wrote:
> I have to wonder - what sort of advantage do you gain by putting stuff in
> /etc/rc.d/init.d as opposed to /etc/init.d? Unless you can say "hey - this
> will help, here's how," what's the point?

I think /etc looks cluttered when the booting system spans a bunch of
directories. To me it makes more sense grouping things that belong
together, so using an /etc/rc.d directory structure to house all the boot
related things. It's of course highly subjective to ones taste. Other than
the cleanliness factor there's no other good reason.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org