Just a thought that popped into my head

Ian Molton spyro at armlinux.org
Mon May 6 20:16:42 PDT 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002 12:45:04 -0400

> Perhaps I'm merely ignorant about the gcc-3 changes which will make it Very
> Bad (tm) to put into LFS but unless I'm told otherwise with some evidence
> to back it up

Is there a pressing reason to LEAVE 2.95.3 ?

have you considered 2.95.4 (debian have some patches, I think)

and for the 'real evidence', read the gcc mailinglist. gcc 3 is up to 20% slower than 2.95.x in some cases, and not significantly faster in any others.

I think the 'significant case' here was mplayer, making some poor sods machine too slow for DVD playback, whilst 2.95.3 was just fast enough...
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org