LFS Goals and Future

Tushar tush at yahoo.com
Mon May 6 22:57:44 PDT 2002

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> My goal is still to teach. To be more exact: teach people how to build a
> (customized) Linux system from scratch. The target audience for the book
> are the more advanced Linux users. I'm not talking about guru's, sysadmins
> and such, but more advanced in the sense of people knowing what symbolic
> links are, how to create partitions, mount them, format them, are
> comfortable on the command line and not just able to work with GUI apps to
> get the job done.
>
> Now, I don't mind at all helping out Linux newbies, but the book is not the
> place. There is no room to write a Linux tutorial inside the LFS book so
> all people can use it. However, the mailinglists/newsgroups can be a
> resource that newbies can use to ask for additional help. I don't expect us
> to run "linux tutorial lists". With this I mean I don't expect us to start
> explaining in full detail what exactly a symbolic link is, what it does,
> the advantages and disadvantages of it but we can help out to clear up some
> confusion people might have (misconceptions, unclear about the syntax even
> after reading the man page) but to a point where it applies to LFS.
>
> Coming back to the LFS book itself: the target is people with a higher
> level of knowledge of the command line and knowledge of commands. The book
> will be reverted back to that over time. It probably won't be a one big
> change-over but more a gradual change. For example when symlinks are
> created, the command explanations will only explain why that particular
> link is created, not what the command itself does (this fits in the realm
> of properly adding comments to source code of any program: explain what it
> does, not how it's done. The 'how' part can be extrapolated from the
> source itself, but not your rationale behind the code, which is what you
> want to convey in comments).

I agree with you 100%.

The LFS book assumes that there is already a pre-existing Linux
installation. That implicit assumption guarantees that the user has used
some Linux distribution before starting an LFS install. The book should
mention that newbies should get comfortable with the various command
line tools using the existing distribution before begining the daunting
task of compiling the packages. And as a LFS newbie (not a Linux newbie)
in the very near past, I can assure you that it is daunting:)

Also, there was a suggestion on creating profiles to install different
packages. Distributions such as Gentoo and Sorcerer fit this
requirement, why reinvent the wheel?

My 2c for 'my distro'.

--Tushar.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org