/etc/rc.d/init.d and LSB

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Tue May 7 10:25:32 PDT 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002 18:49:36 -0400 Gerard Beekmans
<gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 12:59:28PM -0400, Jeffrey B. Ferland wrote:
> > I have to wonder - what sort of advantage do you gain by putting stuff
> > in/etc/rc.d/init.d as opposed to /etc/init.d? Unless you can say "hey
> > - this will help, here's how," what's the point?
>
> I think /etc looks cluttered when the booting system spans a bunch of
> directories. To me it makes more sense grouping things that belong
> together, so using an /etc/rc.d directory structure to house all the
> boot related things. It's of course highly subjective to ones taste.
> Other than the cleanliness factor there's no other good reason.

While there is no specific advantage to choosing /etc/init.d over other
directories, it is a good idea to standardize which directory is chosen.
Well, at least from the distro-creators' POV. The reason why the LSB
mandates /etc/init.d is not because it's a a better place for boot scripts
than some other dir, it's because all LSB-conforming distros will use the
same dir, which makes life easier for packagers and documentation writers.
MSB

--
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org