Just a thought that popped into my head

Marc Heerdink marc at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 7 11:02:38 PDT 2002

Op di 07-05-2002, om 20:04 schreef Ian Molton:
> On 07 May 2002 19:38:03 +0200
> Marc Heerdink <marc at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>
> > There
> > has to be a point though where we say "all major packages compile with
> > the new compiler now, so let's switch".
>
> Why?! why upgrade just for the sake of it?

Remember that gcc 3.x has a number of improvements over 2.95.x as well,
such as better standards compliance, better output code, a newer c++
library and no need to patch it to make it work with glibc 2.2.x.

> I dont agree with the above at all.
>
> I /do/ agree with this though:
>
> all major packages compile AT LEAST AS WELL AS, OR BETTER, with the new
> compiler now, so let's switch

Most packages retain backward compliance for compilers, so this is not
likely to happen soon. If we'd follow this rule we might miss out some
interesting stuff.

[..]

--
         (__)