Pending GCC-3.1 upgrade - do or don't

timothy bauscher timothy at foce.eiomail.com
Tue May 7 13:01:59 PDT 2002

> I'm willing to wait the extra time to get a
> faster system. The compile time is a one-time
> thing so you'll win back a lot more time in the
> long run.

i am not part of your development team, and i have
not used GCC 3.x. this is only my opinion and you
may feel free to ignore me or harass me for stupidity.

it seems to me that programs with GCC-3.1-related
compilation problems will be scarce and will most
likely be patched shortly after 3.1 is released.

but honestly, no one knows because the stable version
has not even been released yet!

i have not seen any valid reasons *not* to upgrade
to 3.1. i am excited about the possibility of its
placement in LFS.

if Gerard and others have been using the GCC CVS
version with little (or no) problems, than i think
that the reasons for not upgrading are bunk
-- especially those concerning compilation speed.

(==timothy==)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org