Pending GCC-3.1 upgrade - do or don't

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 7 13:58:51 PDT 2002

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 08:52:23PM +0100, Chris Lingard wrote:
> When did qt and KDE-3 start compiling with gcc-3.1?  Have not tried
> for a week or so.  Any patches required, as this was the only thing
> stopping me building a complete system?

No patches applied at all.

It actually suprised me. I heard all kinds of stories that arts can't be
compiled with gcc-3.0.4. Or more precise, it will compile, but not
correctly. Though, I never was able to find out what exactly is wrongly
compiled. I admit here is where my ignorance comes into play, but when I
hear that arts isn't compiled properly, I take that as "arts doesn't work
properly". To me, arts is that thing in KDE that does all the multi media
things. So, I compile arts anyways (no patches, no changes, just the plain
old source), do kdelibs, kdebase, multimedia and some other kde packages,
and so far arts seems to work. Sounds work (those annoying system alerts
when you click somewhere, maximize, minimize, resize, switch desktops,
etc).

So far the only thing I cannot get to work are Java plugins and Mozilla
when Mozilla is compiled with gcc-3.0.4. I mentioned this on lfs-support
already (a day or two ago).

So out of roughly 250 installed packages on my systems, one doesn't work
with gcc-3 yet (but only because java is a pre-compiled package, so that's
simply a known issue with binary incompatibility. Maybe there's a java
system that isn't only available as a binary which would totally invalidate
this claim. I only tried the IBM and SUN java run-time suites).

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org