Pending GCC-3.1 upgrade - do or don't

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 7 14:23:34 PDT 2002

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 04:01:59PM -0400, timothy bauscher wrote:
> i am not part of your development team, and i have
> not used GCC 3.x. this is only my opinion and you
> may feel free to ignore me or harass me for stupidity.

I don't harass people for suggesting things. At least I hope I don't (do
let me know if I do, it's not my intention ever).

By the way, you may not consider yourself part of the LFS development team,
but that doesn't mean nobody is going to listen to your ideas. I value
everybody's ideas equally. It doesn't matter to me if you have been around
LFS since the very early 1.x days (Jesse Tie Ten Quee and Ian Chilton are two
that have been around forever) or if you've been around for a few days.

In fact, people who just 'came on board' (subscribed to this list that is
and recently started using LFS) often have refreshing ideas. Old folks are
set in particular ways and don't always look at other methods that may make
life a lot easier (I'm guilty of that too I admit). A prime example of that
is us using chroot. If it wasn't for Asheesh Laroia who about two years
ago, April 18th, 2000, mentioned that he used chroot instead of a reboot,
we probably wouldn't be using chroot soon after that, perhaps to this date
we may be still rebooting after what is now chapter 5. Asheesh was by no
means a regular poster. In that month he posted 12 times and that's all I
have on file from him. So, clearly not part of the development team, his
suggestions still had a profound impact on how we build LFS systems today
more than two years down the road.

So, to make a long story short, everybody two posts here, makes suggestions
and/or helps out on the *-support lists is part of the LFS development team
as far as I am concerned.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org