Pending GCC-3.1 upgrade - do or don't

Jaco Greeff jaco at puxedo.org
Tue May 7 23:19:45 PDT 2002

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> It actually suprised me. I heard all kinds of stories that arts can't be
> compiled with gcc-3.0.4. Or more precise, it will compile, but not
> correctly.
<snip>
> So out of roughly 250 installed packages on my systems, one doesn't work
> with gcc-3 yet (but only because java is a pre-compiled package, so that's
> simply a known issue with binary incompatibility.
<snip>

I've been following this thread with interrest, since we will be
upgrading to the latest and greatest at some point. Not because we have
to, but because that is evolution. Don't we use the "latest and
greatest" glibc 2.2.5 after all? And what about all the millions of
other packages? The argument that we should stick with 2.x is a moot
point. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Now for the slightly off-topic bit. My system is gcc 3.0.4 since I've
been experimenting a bit. (I'll be trying gcc cvs sometime soon again.)
Some packages doesn't work on my 3.0.4 setup, and here is concrete
examples. (Which is why I'll try 3.1 cvs to see if progress has been made.)

Some background: basic LFS system with X and KDE, including all the
optional packages in both KDE and the supporting libraries. Out of all
these I've had problems with the following: (I'm typing from memory so I
don't have the build logs here, but I have them available at home if
anybody is interrested.)

1. pilot-link (www.pilot-link.org) - The last stable version (June 2000,
if memory serves me correctly) doesn't compile. I've downloaded the last
stable development rc (due to become the new stable), but haven't tried
it yet. (time, time, time)

2. kdeedu doesn't compile, complaining about some c++ template stuff.
(As I've said, logs at home :()

3. koffice 1.1.1 doesn't compile (cannot remember errors), neither does
1.2beta1. (This one complains about mixing -c -S and some other flags on
the gcc command-line - I can remember this one since I did it last night)

4. I seem to remember db1 (www.sleepycat.com) having a problem compiling
as well (it breaks somwhere) altough db3 worked perfectly. I still have
to do db2 as well to get KBabel to work. (This is the one optional
package for my full KDE I've skipped due to lack of time thus far.)

These are concrete examples, but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't do
the 3.1 thing. If it (and others) doesn't work on 3.1 (or CVS as I'll
try), maybe yes, we shouldn't go.

But overall I agree with Gerhard - until 3.1 is released and there are
all these millions of packages that doesn't work (which we don't know
yet), and upgrade should be imminent.

Greetings,
Jaco

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org