Pending GCC-3.1 upgrade - do or don't

Ian Molton spyro at armlinux.org
Wed May 8 02:19:08 PDT 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002 22:02:19 -0400
timothy bauscher <timothy at foce.eiomail.com> wrote:

> > 'If it aint broke, dont fix it' ?
>
> Ian, i think you are just afraid of change.

Im autistic, duh :-)

Seriously, though whilst I am autistic and cautious of change, I dont
stick with old code, WHEN the NEW code is BETTER.

> the 2.2* kernel isn't broke, but we use
> the 2.4* kernel ... why not upgrade to the
> latest stable release?

2.4 is faster, has better hardware support, is more actively maintained.

Makes sense to use it.

GCC3 may be more actively developed, but it isnt faster, doesnt produce
better code (often worse), and isnt stable yet.

Oh, by the way, your analogy below is flawed. its NOT the method of
reproduction that causes evolution. evolution occurs when a random
change in the snails DNA gives it an advantage, and that can happen in
the asexual snails just as easily.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org