Pending GCC-3.1 upgrade - do or don't

Larry Lawrence llawre_ at excite.com
Wed May 8 10:05:36 PDT 2002

Ian Molton wrote:

> On Wed, 08 May 2002 10:35:26 -0400
> Michael W Daniels <daniels at ling.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
>
>> At 10:05 AM 5/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>> >If not faster, why upgrade? (noone has answered this yet, with the
>> >(questionable) excpetion of C++ support which unless you use KDE is
>> >only a VERY small fraction of packages. besides KDE compiles fine on
>> >2.95.3.)
>>
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.1/changes.html
>
> Er. Im seeing code generation speedups to put it on a par with 2.95.3
> and ABI incompatability. It doesnt mention the generated code running
> faster...
>
> Whats the big advantage?

A big advantage would be to write programs in assembler.  I cannot fathom a
change that would qualify as a big advantage.

It seems to me that there is some underlying fear of instablility of LFS.
We're talking about a set of 40+ programs, all under continous development
on top of a kernel that's probably never been stable.  And after all that,
is still more stable as a unit than the competition.

LFS has a consistant approach to upgrades. Let the process work.

Larry
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org