GCC 3.x Pro's & Cons

Marc Heerdink marc at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed May 8 10:09:49 PDT 2002

Op wo 08-05-2002, om 19:03 schreef James Iwanek:
> 1) generally when people take longer making something it will be
> more reliable and work better - so if a program takes longer to compile, by
> this rule it will work better

But people that work faster are more efficient and therefore better...

> 2) just because *SOME* people say it causes problems dosnt mean to say it
> does - all the problems
> ian has reported to us may have been caused by hardware problems or
> stupidity
> (someone made an over-optomized GCC build, something broke, they reported a
> bug and ommited
> that they had over-optomized GCC and to save face when asked about it would
> deny it) - if we all
> believe what ian has said SUSE linux 8 shouldnt be used by anyone cause it
> uses a RC of GNOME :-)

This is, IMHO, slightly unrelated. Of course, some reported problems
were not caused by gcc 3.x itself but by environmental conditions, but
some _were_ gcc 3.xs fault. I'm confident that these will be fixed for
3.1-though...

> now this is all just my oppinion so anyone who is a compiler xenophobe
> please DONT bite my head off.
> any oppinions on the above welcome (except those that start off stupid
> do-dont pantomime arguments - no names mentioned)

This would have better been posted as a reply to one of the other
threads on this subject (3 and still counting).

Please stop this discussion, it leads us knowhere. I see 8 people for
including 3.1 asap, 1 against. When we'd wait 6 months for people to do
intensive testing, 3.1.1 would be released and we'd have to wait again.

--
         (__)
         (oo)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org