Just a thought that popped into my head

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed May 8 11:51:33 PDT 2002

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 05:44:18PM +0100, Ian Molton wrote:
> > I have written twice or thrice that I reinstalled my workstation with
> > gcc-3. That includes KDE, but also the 250 other packages.
>
> Look, Im not trying to be rude, but 'compiling something' ISNT a test.

Yesterday I wrote down some numbers that, for example, KDE's Konqueror
startup time is decreased by 50% or roughly 10 seconds. I wouldn't be able
to do that by just compiling Konqueror. I'd have to run it too of course.
How can I say my system is faster when all I do is compile and not run? Do
I have really have to explain all the obvious steps I've taken that led me
to the conclusion that starting konqueror is faster? If you must, I started
konqueuror by clicking on a link in KDE's menu. Then I looked at my watch,
kept looking until Konqueror was done loading, then calculated the elapsed
time.

> Gerard, I respect you as an expert - in LFS.
> As far as other projects goes, I recognise THEIR developers as the
> experts, not you, not me (except my projects :)

Project experts often are very conversative. I am no different. The result
is that gcc-2.95.3 was deemed unusable to compile earlier 2.4 and 2.2
kernels. However, LFS experience shows that it wasn't all that bad, I've
never ever read any note that somebody went back to an older GCC because a
kernel couldn't be compiled and/or loaded properly.

That's all I meant when I said that I don't always take project
managers/leaders/developers at face value. Sometimes they set very high
standards (don't get me wrong, they should do that, without it a project
will never attain high quality) which are too high for us "common folk"
(for lack of a better term).

We're building (mostly) workstations here, they don't have server
production quality and often don't need it since you won't notice the
difference.

> Seeing one project 'owner' proclaim to be an expert (or rather 'know
> better than the experts') of other projects disappoints me.

I have said I was large ignorant about the GCC problems, exactly for the
reason that I am not a GCC internals expert. So that means I never claimed
to be an expert of a non-LFS project.

> I hope this post is polite enough.

No problems here on that one.

www.linuxfromscratch.org