Pending GCC-3.1 upgrade - do or don't

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Wed May 8 15:47:50 PDT 2002

On Wed, 8 May 2002 10:59:55 -0500
JorgP <jorgp at bartnet.net> wrote:

> If you look in gcc/gcc/version.c I think the head is labeled
> experimental and 3.1 branch is labeled pre-release.. I really do not
> see the argument about it, look at the current distros, debian sid and
> upcoming 3.0 is using a pre-release of 2.95.4, mandrake and redhat
> used the unreleased unstable 2.96 compiler, but both are switching to
> gcc 3.1 as system compiler.

Red Hat's inclusion of gcc 2.96 in RH7.0 was the last straw for me; it
annoyed me so much that I gave up on distributions and started building
LFS systems.

So, JorgP, I have to disagree this argument (unpleasant as it is
becoming) is pointless.  It does matter to a lot of us which compiler we
use, and whether it gets the small details right or not.

--
Steve Bougerolle
Creek & Cowley Consulting

http://www.creek-and-cowley.com