RH 6.0 mv breakdown on hard-linked files.

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Thu May 9 08:20:12 PDT 2002

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 11:31:56PM -0400, Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:
> > Running LFS 3.3 bzip2 install for chapter5, the following command
> > fails with "mv: /mnt/hdc2/bin/bzmore: No such file or directory".
>
> Can you repeat the same process again. But instead of the 'mv' commad the
> book uses, can you use a cp and rm combination, like so:
>
> cp $LFS/usr/bin/{bzcat,bunzip2,bzip2,bzip2recover,bzless,bzmore} $LFS/bin
> rm $LFS/usr/bin/{bzcat,bunzip2,bzip2,bzip2recover,bzless,bzmore} $LFS/bin

Be glad to. Right now, my only available 6.0 is nearing the end of
an LFS glibc install (i18n in glibc now) so it will be about 5-6 hours
before it's available again (6x86-PR-166). Then I'll change the commands
to match and make another partition on it and run chapter 5 with the
above commands. I just checked to see if it's bash supports brace
expansion - it does according to man page. If it fails, I'll also move
bzmore to the front of the list and see if it works (I've a hope it
might).

> I know your two mv's are less to type, but this will give me an idea if
> we're facing the same problem we have with gzip where we employ a similar
> workaround.

Typing is not an issue. Trying to keep BILLS as close as possible to the
LFS book is the issue. This was closer than other options, without first
trying swapping places. I wanted to get the install started, so took
the short route. Didn't think of rearranging the components until after
I started the run and sat back and began to think about the implications.

> If so, I'll the try to get a copy of Redhat 6.0 and try to dig more into
> it.

I have a *spare* "publishers edition* that came with books. I'll be
glad to snail-mail to you if you like.

> Gerard Beekmans
> www.linuxfromscratch.org

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com

P.S. I almost hate to take the RH off. It seems to be useful for this
sort of stuff. I've got the room - maybe I'll leave it up (or at least
on an HD).

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org