Just a thought that popped into my head

Ian Molton spyro at armlinux.org
Thu May 9 12:17:50 PDT 2002

On Thu, 9 May 2002 13:54:12 +0100
"Sam Barnett-Cormack" <sambc at nights.force9.co.uk> wrote:

> I hope I offend no-one, but here's by two penn'orth:

I can only speak for myself, but you didnt offend me.

> My experience of AS (as a non-sufferer who has many friends and
> acquaintances who suffer) would tend to suggest that AS sufferers are
> harder to convince about things *if* they have preconception

Hm. I would add that to my knowledge, preconceptions are RARE in AS
people. We tend to be excruciatingly logical.

I would say that once an AS person has reached a logical descision
(which might be wrong), they are VERY hard to convince otherwise unless
you can show them EXACTLY where the error in their logic is.

> However,
> AS sufferers *can* on*some* *occaisions* have difficulty letting go of
> a discussion - and this is true of some non-AS sufferers as well, just
> more often true to a greater extent for AS sufferers.

/very/ more often. We have a much greater need for (proper) closure.

> Once again I mean no-one any offence, and seek only to put a balanced
> view into this discussion.

Thanks :)

Oh, btw - can you say Aspergers people, or 'people with aspergers' ?
Very few of us like to think that we suffer from it, as it is a
pervasive (from conception) neurological difference, not a disease.

The general view is that Aspergers defines who we are, so you can see
why being called a sufferer might not be taken well.

(We /do/ suffer some of the consequences of having AS, although very
often its not our fault, but others fault instead (eg. bullying at
school fdor being 'different').

PS. will someone PLEASE subscribe me to lfs-chat? (I tried and
failed...)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org