Just a thought that popped into my head

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 9 15:22:58 PDT 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 10:55:17PM +0100, Ian Molton wrote:
> Can I request that we /try/ lfs-testing ?

I have given it a bit more thought just now over dinner and I'm beginning
to change my mind on the issue. Right now I'm at this stage:

Developing test suites for the various packages we install in the LFS book
could be a great idea to ensure overall system 'health'. Quite a few
packages already come with their test suites can often be invoked by
running "make test" prior to "make install". It's also known that some of
those test suites don't always work properly due to missing dependencies.
We can probably come up with a simpler test suite for such cases but it
wouldn't be satisfactory knowing a more test suite probably more thorough
we could (ever) come up with by ourselves is sitting there unused.

The alternative could be to save certain source trees (such as Glibc, perl,
gcc and so on) until the end of chapter 6 and run the test suites then. But
it would kind of negate the whole point of it. If you run a test suite you
want to run it before you actually put the programs to use (glibc, gcc,
binutils, all those things only make sense to be tested before you install
the entire system with the tools).

Let's discuss these points first before a new list is created. Who knows,
perhaps we'll come to the conclusion that it's too massive of an
undertaking (have to become a lot more knowledgable in all the packages,
which is a _lot_ of work) and is doomed before we even attempt it. I'm sure
the deciding factor is the available time people have.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org