Just a thought that popped into my head

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 9 17:35:09 PDT 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 01:07:55PM -0700, Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee wrote:
> What do you guys think this list is for?

Jesse, I know of your aversion of more mailinglists and I must admit I
don't always agree with your claims of them being unmanagable. All you need
to do is subscribe to them (heck, I'll even subscribe you myself if you
don't want to go through that trouble) and setup a procmail recipe (or
whatever you use nowadays to filter mail). In mutt it's simply a question
of hitting the 'c' button and then 'enter' to open the next available
mailbox with new mail in it.

So, honestly I don't entirely agree that another list is going to cause a
lot of problems. But, I also know it's highly personal. I hate a list
cluttered with too many simultaneous discussions, especially when the
started project could be an independant thing. I'm one for modularization
things (just look at the way the lfs-book's xml is setup, that proves how
anal I am about these things) and developing a comprehensive test suite to
test all LFS used packages only makes sense to be done in it's own 'space'.

Well, that's just me. Then there's people who prefer "one big mailinglist
that does all". Linux kernel mailing list is a prime example (and I don't
think I have to tell you that I hate that list. The high volume isn't the
issue, but the too many mixed subjects gives a very cluttered feeling.
There's no way to section it off, unless I move threads to seperate mboxes
myself).

But let's not attack Gerard just yet about this. My mind's not made up yet.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org