Pending GCC-3.1 upgrade - do or don't

Spencer Collyer spencer at lasermount.uklinux.net
Thu May 9 14:25:04 PDT 2002

On Thu, 9 May 2002 20:45:17 +0100, Ian Molton wrote:
> On Thu, 9 May 2002 18:15:14 +0000
> Spencer Collyer <spencer at lasermount.uklinux.net> wrote:
>

> > > the point is that asexual reproduction does NOT result in a series
> > > of clones, which is effectively what the original poster suggested.
> >
> > Actually, in almost all cases they are indeed clones of the original
> > (in the sense that their DNA is identical, which is the only real
> > definition that fits.)
>
> Ok, I should have said 'does not result in an endless series of clones'
> :)
>
> You could argue that crossover is a sort of 'deliberate mutation', I
> suppose :)
>
> (You will have no argument from me that crossover reproduction is more
> effective, though)
>
> Hm. actually, thinking about it - crossover reproduction seems to have
> /serious/ problems if the breeding group is too small...
>
> anyhow, this is WAAAY OT now :)

Heh, yep, way too far OT for this list - apologies to everyone for
introducing so much noise, but heck, it's one of my fave subjects - I get
carried away sometimes :)

--
<<< Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines >>>
9:24pm up 91 days, 5:49, 11 users, load average: 1.25, 0.89, 0.79
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org