Why not sysconfig sysklogd?

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sat May 11 06:37:06 PDT 2002

Hi folks,

Trolling through my BILLS logs, I got reminded that there is
and option on the logging daemon for timestamping. The book used
to include a sed to allow the -m value to be changed, but in
the Version 20020509, Chapter 7, "Setting up system boot scripts"
I see it is gone. IIRC, a part of the "clean up" and a good thing.

I can imagine that it may not be considered worthwhile because
very few people would mess with it. But, if the sed was dropped
primarily in a "clean up" effort, and not for reasons of minimal
usefullness...

It seems reasonable to provide a methodolgy in the book-published
scripts to easily configure this (and probably other things I've
yet to stumble across).

I was thinking a file in /etc/sysconfig, similar to what is done
for clock, in conjunction with minor changes to the sysklogd
script. The change would read a "/etc/sysconfig/sysklogd.ts" (or
somesuch) file to get the parameter for the -m on startup would be
straightforward. It would follow similar processes we already do
for other things also.

OTOH, this may fall into one of those "every possible param for
every possible program in every possible config..." categories
and is to be avoided.

Whatcha think?

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com