RH 6.0 mv breakdown on hard-linked files.

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Mon May 13 14:23:12 PDT 2002

I think Gerard already knows the answer, but I did say I
would test and reply

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:

> On Thu, 9 May 2002, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 11:31:56PM -0400, Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:
> > > Running LFS 3.3 bzip2 install for chapter5, the following command
> > > fails with "mv: /mnt/hdc2/bin/bzmore: No such file or directory".
> >
> > Can you repeat the same process again. But instead of the 'mv' commad the
> > book uses, can you use a cp and rm combination, like so:
> >
> > cp $LFS/usr/bin/{bzcat,bunzip2,bzip2,bzip2recover,bzless,bzmore} $LFS/bin
> > rm $LFS/usr/bin/{bzcat,bunzip2,bzip2,bzip2recover,bzless,bzmore} $LFS/bin

I ran these two commands and they worked just fine. I see from some
other mail that there have been concerns re the hard links maintenance.
If the cp -al is used and the target dir is on the same partition, the
hard links s/b maintained. If it's a different partition, a little more
algorithm would be needed.

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org