Unusual results in regression testing

Kelledin kelledin at users.sourceforge.net
Thu May 16 12:46:14 PDT 2002

On Thursday 16 May 2002 07:17 am, you wrote:
> I feel compelled to point out that you *mustn't* strip symbols (except
> debug obviously) from any .so files (or files of the so format with other
> extensions) which are ever used via the dl interface by calling programs -
> it will break.

Actually, I have done strip --strip-all on dlopen'd .so files.  The external
entry points (the ones dlsym() is used to resolve) get left in there.  Even
if I explicitly tell strip to strip out one of those entry points (via strip
-N zcMsg or the like), the symbol gets left in there.

Apparently the .so format knows how to take special note of external entry
points, and strip knows never to remove them.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org