Serious error with faulty /etc/fstab

Jürgen Nagel JuergenNagel at web.de
Thu May 16 15:40:33 PDT 2002

Hi all,

I've found a serious error in the way LFS mounts file systems.

Yesterday I deleted an old partition (/dev/hda4) and the mount point. I
forgot to remove the corresponding line in /etc/fstab.
When I rebooted the system, I got the error message that a partition
couldn't be mounted and that I should repair the system. Then the system
  was shut down.

I was pretty angry that I couldn't start my system just due to this
stupid bug. It is obviously a logical mistake that I can't repair a
system when it is shut down.

Why is a missing partition not just ignored?
An error message is very useful and should be display whenever something
goes wrong with mounting. But if a partition could not be mounted, it
should not stop the system from starting !!
It would be useful to have the choice of shutting down or continue starting.

Juergen

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org