Serious error with faulty /etc/fstab

Ian Molton spyro at armlinux.org
Thu May 16 17:08:15 PDT 2002

On Thu, 16 May 2002 19:17:49 -0400

> > Why is a missing partition not just ignored?
>
> Limitation of fsck. It's return value just indicates an error, it
> doesn't tell us that it failed due to a non-existing partition. If it
> would exit with a specific return code for such a situation, then the
> script can be altered to look for it.

has anyone mentioned this to the fsck developers?

thinking about it though, if it fails to mount, say, /var or so, then we
will end up with a mount point full of sh*t if we blindly continue
booting. not a good idea, and a potential source of endless 'where the
hell has my 100GB harddiscs free space gone?' type questions.

I vote for keeping the current (obviously safe) behaviour, over
'dangerous but handy to some'.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org