Ada: yes or no?

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Thu May 16 17:59:45 PDT 2002

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 01:04:01AM +0100, Ian Molton wrote:
> We build every package used in the lfs-book in its fullest (if not done so,
> it should be) but we're making an exception for GCC. Now, with this Ada, if
> you don't build it in chapter 5, then you cannot build it later on in
> chapter 6. So when your system is all finished, you cannot install Ada by
> just reinstalling GCC in the future. That's the problem here. You get
> around it by introducing a pre-compiled binary on the system so ada can
> build itself (must like gcc needs gcc to compile, ada needs itself to
> compile as well). It's dirty to do so on an LFS system out of a philosophy
> point of view, but introducing a precompiled binary on the host
> distribution isn't a big deal. It's all precompiled anyways (unless you use
> LFS but even then it's a host distro so it's less of a problem).

[deleted]

> By now I trust you understand the point. The installation is nasty in
> chapter 5 to get Ada working due to probably a missing GNATS on the host
> distribution that's required for the Ada built. I'm not even sure that all
> distro's have gnats in their package list. Chapter 5 would therefore
> contain instructions how to install something on the host distribution
> before you can continue and I think that shouldn't be done just like that,
> not without knowing what you're doing. It would be better suited in a hint
> and I repeat - we want to install the entire package when possible and are
> obliged to point out how to do so if the book doesn't do it. The Ada issues
> requires a hint to be written to deal with the missing components.

I feel a note/warning in chapter 5 would be sufficient.  An alternative
to compiling Ada in Chapters 5/6  would be to download a complete binary
distribution of gcc and build from that.  That solution is fundamentally
the same as compiling from the original distribution.

Another observation: What open source packages actually *use* Ada?  I
believe the answer is effectivly none (except Ada itself).  The benefit
of putting it into the base LFS does not justify the time and effort.
   -- Bruce

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org