Ada: yes or no?

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Fri May 17 00:44:01 PDT 2002

tchiwam wrote:

>> to compiling Ada in Chapters 5/6  would be to download a complete
>> binary
>> distribution of gcc and build from that.  That solution is

No, all you need is the ada part, see the hint.

Gerard:
>>  simply unpacking the tarball and compile gcc again -
>>  it's a circular dependency.

You can add Ada by recompiling gcc at any time, long after you
built your system.  The binary tar ball contains just enough Ada
to make the stage one bootstrap.  Once done you delete the
tar ball stuff.

Please mention that if you want either Java or Ada, with the stress
on Ada, you need a big machine. It cripples my 500Mhz and ran
overnight just to build LFS 4.0 (grin --  my version gcc-3.1 + new
stuff)

The other langauges can be added anytime, except that Ada needs the
NYU binary

Chris

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org