Ada: yes or no?

Ian Molton spyro at armlinux.org
Fri May 17 05:01:41 PDT 2002

On Thu, 16 May 2002 20:31:24 -0400

> > If you /must/ put something in, make it general, like 'if you need
> > any languages other than c or c++, please add them to
> > LANGUAGES=xxx,yyy in chapter 6'.
>
> By now I trust you understand the point. The installation is nasty in
> chapter 5 to get Ada working due to probably a missing GNATS on the
> host distribution that's required for the Ada built.

I still think we shouldnt bother about ada.

1) anyone who needs it knows the problems
2) very few host distros include it by default, and anyone who has
installed it knows what they are doing
3) it takes years to compile
4) you can always download a binary to bootstrap yourself a copy (you
can do it in a chroot if you are paranoid).

I think if you say in chapter 5 'compile ada now or else you cant
later', you will get a LOT of people who dont really understand it
wasting a lot of time building something they will never use. :/
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org