chroot

Johan Veenstra j.h.veenstra at stud.tue.nl
Fri May 17 09:40:13 PDT 2002

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I was just reviewing Chapter 6 and in the chroot section we have:
>
> cd $LFS &&
> chroot $LFS /usr/bin/env -i HOME=/root \
>     TERM=$TERM /bin/bash --login
>
> It may have been discussed before, but why do we need the cd $LFS
> instruction?
>
>    -- Bruce

Direct quote from the book:

The reason we do cd $LFS before running the chroot command is that older
sh-utils packages have a chroot program which doesn't do the cd by itself,
therefore meaning that we have to perform it manually. While this isn't an
issue with most modern distributions, it does no harm anyways and ensures
that the command works for everyone.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org