Unusual results in regression testing

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri May 17 07:48:30 PDT 2002

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Matthias Benkmann wrote:

> On Thu, 16 May 2002 21:24:58 +0100 (BST) Ken Moffat
> <ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net> wrote:
>

> >  All were stripped using the command from the end of the book,
>
> Maybe you mistyped something or maybe the command is faulty in the 1st
> place.
>
> > The funny thing about that is
> >  that`file', at least on the host system, thought they weren't stripped.
>
> If file says the binary is not stripped, it's not stripped. Period. You
> should investigate why they were not stripped correctly. This is where the
> explanation for your results lies, not a pollution of your LFS system with
> components from the host system.
>
> MSB

Ok, I'll have a look at this soon-ish (I'm sick at the moment). From
memory, on my LFS-3.0 host `file' reports `not stripped' unless I've used
--strip-all. Probably means `file' or `strip' wasn't built
properly. <sigh>

Ken

--
Listen to others, even to the dull and ignorant;
     for you too may be a Manager some day.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org