Ada: yes or no?

Spencer Collyer spencer at lasermount.uklinux.net
Fri May 17 14:10:20 PDT 2002

On Fri, 17 May 2002 21:49:24 +0100, Ian Molton wrote:
> On Fri, 17 May 2002 21:04:38 +0100
> tristan <twem2-lfs at eridu.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > > why ada specifically? whats so special about it?
> >
> > It requires itself to be compiled, and it isn't necessarily going to
> > be on the host system (it won't be on any bare previous LFS install
> > for example).
>
> What in the above distinguishes Ada from other self-bootstrapping
> packages?

I think the important part is the fact that it comes as part of the GCC.
We install the GCC as part of the LFS book (else we wouldn't be able to do
chapter 6 :-) ) so the user might expect that they can build any parts of
the GCC that they didn't do previously, if they find they needed them,
from their LFS system. Ada, however, needs itself to build itself, while
the other optional (to LFS) languages in the GCC do not. I'm not aware
that the same situation arises with any other self-bootstrapping packages
- either they aren't part of LFS, or else we build them fully anyway

Also, I would imagine that the majority of distros out there do not come
with GNATS as standard (I've just taken a look over my Mandrake 8.0 box
and couldn't find it, and the GCC help files make no mention of Ada,
thought they do mention Objective-C), so if we were to include Ada as part
of the standard LFS build then a binary would need to be supplied.

Just my twopenn'orth.

--
<<< Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines >>>
9:57pm up 99 days, 5:23, 18 users, load average: 1.38, 1.08, 0.98
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org