Ada: yes or no?

Ian Molton spyro at armlinux.org
Fri May 17 16:11:25 PDT 2002

On Fri, 17 May 2002 22:10:20 +0100
Spencer Collyer <spencer at lasermount.uklinux.net> wrote:

> I think the important part is the fact that it comes as part of the
> GCC.

The GCC is broken up into *6* packages, so ada is an OPTIONAL part fo
the package, just like (say) gnome-print is an optional part of GNOME.

the gcc team provide an 'all in one' package, but that doesnt mean you
have to install it all.

We could actually save about 10MB of downloads if we only supplied
gcc-core and gcc-g++ tarballs, instead of the 'all in one'.

perhaps we should? 10MB is a LOT.

> Ada, however, needs
> itself to build itself, while the other optional (to LFS) languages in
> the GCC do not. I'm not aware that the same situation arises with any
> other self-bootstrapping packages- either they aren't part of LFS, or
> else we build them fully anyway

Um. self-bootstrapping MEANS it depends on itself, by definition.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org