help needed

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri May 17 18:22:33 PDT 2002

On Fri, 17, May, 2002 at 08:10:55PM -0400, Bill Maltby LFS Related spoke thus..

> On Sat, 18 May 2002, Mark Hymers wrote:

> > Hmm.. Given this, it seems sensible to change all of the chown X.X's in
> > the LFS book to chown X:X's.  I've done this (it's a very small change).
>
> Does this mean the older distros will no longer be able to install
> correctly?

Not as far as I'm aware.  I've just dug out a *very* old copy of
fileutils (3.13 from 1996; it's as far back as the ftp.gnu.org archive
goes) and that supports both the : and . notation.

I think that's going to be as old as we get.  Any distro preceding 1996
is going to be libc5 based by my reckoning (based on the file dates on
gnu.org) and so not going to be suitable for building LFS systems
anyways.

As usual, someone correct me if I'm wrong ;-)

Mark

markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org