LFS and scsi or ethernet cards

Cor Lem c-lem at gmx.net
Sat May 18 04:09:26 PDT 2002

At 12:48 18-5-02 +0200, you wrote:
>I'd felt exited to try to build a lfs system. It's a good project and I
>expected to it teach me a lot.
>My surprise was after a full compile, without errors but when trying to
>boot linux I get errors with :
>a) My scsi system (I've an Adaptec board with a disk, a cdrom and a
>scanner connected to it)
>b) Two Realtek RTL8139 cards in a small network...

What errors do you get?

>No scsi devices are recognized neither the eth.. boards.
>I've compiled the kernel with these modules but linux seems to no detect
>all these things!

Have you tried: 'dmesg | less' to be sure that it is not detected?

Which modules exactly did you compile in the kernel?

>  I have the feeling that lfs has been designed to work with only small
> computers using a disk
>a sound card and a modem to get connected to Internet.

IMHO; your wrong here ...

>Could you help me on getting this things working ?

To get the second network-card up (after it is detected correctly) just
repeat the steps described "Creating network interface configuration files"
on: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/cvs/chapter07/network.html

and replace:
cat > /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0

with
cat > /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth1

>Truly yours
>

>Horacio

Hope this helps,
Cor Lem