Ada: yes or no?

tristan twem2-lfs at eridu.org.uk
Sat May 18 04:41:54 PDT 2002

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 12:34:04PM +0100, Ian Molton wrote:
> On Sat, 18 May 2002 11:50:25 +0200
> Nicholas Dille <darkyeti at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> It makes it harder to install ANY self bootstrapping package.

apart from the C and C++ compiler.

> > this is the last time i posted on this as you obviously try really
> > hard not to understand or accept my point which is the very least i
> > would expect.
>
> I know what you are saying, but you arent answering my question (which
> is WHY I keep repeating it).
>
> WHY does ADA deserve a SPECIAL mention, and not OTHER *self
> bootstrapping* packages?

We /do/ keep on answering it.
Once more: Ada is included in GCC. The book already says
"--enable-languages=c,c++: This only builds the C and C++ compilers and not
the other available compilers as they are, on the average, not often used. If
those other compilers are needed, the --enable-languages parameter can be
omitted."

Now if you did that, you'd run into problems with Ada. So we need to include
a link to the Ada hint.

The other option is to only download the C and C++ parts of GCC, but I'm
personally against that, as people who require ObjC (for GNUStep) or Fortran
(Physics students and others) will have a problem. You'll have to give pointers
to hints detailing the installation of the others compilers which are part of
GCC. Anyway, I expect any package I download to be complete. GCC is the GNU
Compiler Collection, I expect all the compilers to be included so I can choose
to install the others.

HTH
Tristan
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org