LFS and scsi or ethernet cards

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sat May 18 06:32:36 PDT 2002

On Sat, 18 May 2002, Horacio Ferrero wrote:

> I'd felt exited to try to build a lfs system. It's a good project and I expected to it teach me a lot.
> My surprise was after a full compile, without errors but when trying to boot linux I get errors with :
> a) My scsi system (I've an Adaptec board with a disk, a cdrom and a scanner connected to it)
> b) Two Realtek RTL8139 cards in a small network...
>
> No scsi devices are recognized neither the eth.. boards.
> I've compiled the kernel with these modules but linux seems to no
> detect all these things!
>
> I have the feeling that lfs has been designed to work with only small computers using a disk
> a sound card and a modem to get connected to Internet.

Really? I have a few systems with 3 different SCSI HAs and different
NICs. Works fine. Maybe user error?

Anyway, if you are new to LFS I suggest first time avoid modules.
Compile evrything in. That way there are fewer steps that have to
be correctly done.

Make sure your device drivers for the NICs and HA are enabled.
If that is done, and the other make * steps are done, system
should boot fine and you should be able to see the NICS and HA
in /proc/pci.

IIRC, IRQs are there too? So you can check. If IRQs aren't there
they can be seen in /proc/interrupts.

> Could you help me on getting this things working ?

Then if the expected items are seen, SCSI s/b working at that
pint. You can manually ifconfig the NICs and ping around to
see that they are OK.

I think that is a good starting point. Get the *basics* right
first, then move to the more advanced configurations.

> Truly yours
>

> Horacio

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com