LFS and scsi or ethernet cards

Matthias Liertzer linux at liertzer.at
Sat May 18 06:44:37 PDT 2002

Horacio Ferrero wrote:
> I'd felt exited to try to build a lfs system. It's a good project and I
> expected to it teach me a lot.
> My surprise was after a full compile, without errors but when trying to
> boot linux I get errors with :
> a) My scsi system (I've an Adaptec board with a disk, a cdrom and a
> scanner connected to it)
> b) Two Realtek RTL8139 cards in a small network...
>
> No scsi devices are recognized neither the eth.. boards.
> I've compiled the kernel with these modules but linux seems to no detect
> all these things!

It seems to me, that you`ve forgotten to put the needed modules for scsi
and eth into /etc/modules.conf. Then you'll have to run depmod -A (or
-a, dunno know exactly). That's the way I solved the "problem" on my LFS
system.

If this doesn't work, try to compile the drivers for your scsi and
ethernet devices directly into the kernel.

> I have the feeling that lfs has been designed to work with only small
> computers using a disk
> a sound card and a modem to get connected to Internet.
>
> Could you help me on getting this things working ?
>
> Truly yours
>

> Horacio

Greets Matt

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org