keep-5-6-sep going in Monday'ish

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat May 18 18:55:00 PDT 2002

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 09:30:57PM -0400, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> The easiest way around this is by creating symlinks to satisfy such
> dependencies but we don't want to pollute the LFS directory structure so
> I'd say create symlinks that are needed during a package installation, but
> then remove them as soon as we're done installing the package. It's a
> little bit extra work but I like it better that way.

Then there are configure scripts that need the /bin/sh symlink.
Contineously creating and removing it is a bit of a pain unless we decide
to install bash right after Glibc and GCC?

In light of this perhaps just create all symlinks that we need and just
remove them prior to running 'make install' on a package that installs the
real (dynamically linked) file.

A mix of both? Create symlinks of often reoccuring dependencies and just
create&remove ones that are only needed once or twice throughout chapter 6
(such as cpp, pwd /dev/null perhaps others)?

Lots of options, all have drawbacks. We may end up with a section that
creates two symlinks, kind of a waste spending an entire page on it.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org