keep-5-6-sep going in Monday'ish

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat May 18 20:22:55 PDT 2002

On Sat, 18, May, 2002 at 09:55:00PM -0400, Gerard Beekmans spoke thus..

> Then there are configure scripts that need the /bin/sh symlink.
> Contineously creating and removing it is a bit of a pain unless we decide
> to install bash right after Glibc and GCC?

I don't see that we could.  Bash needs ncurses IIRC.

> In light of this perhaps just create all symlinks that we need and just
> remove them prior to running 'make install' on a package that installs the
> real (dynamically linked) file.
>
> A mix of both? Create symlinks of often reoccuring dependencies and just
> create&remove ones that are only needed once or twice throughout chapter 6
> (such as cpp, pwd /dev/null perhaps others)?
>
> Lots of options, all have drawbacks. We may end up with a section that
> creates two symlinks, kind of a waste spending an entire page on it.

Hmm.  Maybe we can rejig the package install order to something like:

makedev, kernel-headers, glibc, gcc, ncurses, bash, the rest.

(Don't forget makedev now has MSB's alterations in which mean that it
doesn't need glibc installed to work) That should get rid of the
/dev/null problem.  /bin/pwd could then be made as a one-off for
kernel-headers with /bin/sh made for glibc, gcc and ncurses before being
removed for bash.

Would that work?

Mark

markh at linuxfromscratch.org