Console i18n(fonts).

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Sun May 19 02:57:05 PDT 2002

On Sat, 18 May 2002 17:52:09 +0300 Amir Hardon <a_hardon at netvision.net.il>
wrote:

> Having i18n support isn't such a complicated issue,
> beside setting the keymap and font, there is only one more thing people
> can want which is setting LC_ALL and LANG (which is very simple).

And what about X ? How do you set up an xterm to display Japanese
characters? How do you configure emacs to be able to write with
right-to-left direction? There is a lot of stuff to configure. Picking out
one thing to include in the book doesn't make sense. I'd rather see a
comprehensive hint or a whole chapter in the BLFS book about it. That
would be a lot more useful.

> There is no need to change the input rc, when LC_ALL and LANG are set,
> the foerign charters are handled properly.

You can type foreign characters in bash even with setting input-meta to
on? That's strange. Setting LANG and LC_ALL to de_DE doesn't allow me to
type ä in bash.

> Setting fonts in the initscripts is a good thing.

I didn't say it wasn't.

> If I'm not wrong some of the major distributions set fonts in their
> initscripts...

Yes and they start daemons like sshd in their boot scripts, too. This is
all beyond the scope of the LFS book. It would be appropriate for the BLFS
book I think, but not for basic LFS.
MSB

--
This sentence no verb.