keep-5-6-sep going in Monday'ish

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sun May 19 05:40:01 PDT 2002

It is widely believed that on Sat, 18 May 2002, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> As it looks, I'm going to do a few things differently from what the hint is
> describing. First of all I'm looking at $LFS/static as a purely temporary
> thing that we use in the book so I'm not even going to bother with a
> seperate $LFS/usr directory. Just one bin directory $LFS/static/bin that
> holds everything so we can do away with all the copying moving and removing
> of binaries (like we do now with for example bzip2 stuff - moving from
> $LFS/usr/bin to $LFS/bin so it'll match whatever we do in chapter 6). The
> only 'extra' subdirectory I currently have in $LFS/static is the 'src'
> directory where I do all the building just to keep things uncluttered.

 I'm all for cutting down the directories in /static, but I'm hoping that
/static will give me somwhere to fall back to _when_ my root filesystem
gets savaged either by experimental kernel changes, or by _this_ idiot
getting hold of the root password!

 I don't know if I'm understanding you correctly, but I'm intending to
have /static/usr/share, /static/var, and /static/etc in _my_ system to
assist recovery and to give me a _useful_ base from which to build new
systems. And a few other packages too - e2fsprogs, less, vim, plus
whatever I need to get `man' working. I just hope that the book doesn't
diverge too much from a "regular" directory structure under /static.

 Roll on Monday'ish.

Ken

--
Listen to others, even to the dull and ignorant;
     for you too may be a Manager some day.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org