GCC 3.1 and Ncurses compile problems

DJ Lucas dj_me at swbell.net
Mon May 20 15:25:15 PDT 2002

Hello,  started building a new LFS system today and ran into an error when building ncurses.  I grabbed the book from CVS 20020519 and opted to use GCC 3.1 as this is the current test for the next LFS book as I understand it.  There were no instructions for using a static build of gcc 3.1 so simply modified the 2.95.3 instructions to this:

    mkdir ../gcc-build &&
    cd ../gcc-build &&
    ../gcc-3.1/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-languages=c,c++,java \
        --disable-nls --disable-shared --enable-threads=posix &&
    make BOOT_LDFLAGS=-static bootstrap &&
    make prefix=$LFS/usr install &&
    ln -sf ../usr/bin/cpp $LFS/lib &&
    ln -sf ../bin/cpp $LFS/usr/lib &&
    ln -sf gcc $LFS/usr/bin/cc &&
    rmdir $LFS/usr/*-gnu/include &&
    rmdir $LFS/usr/*-gnu

Obviously this failed at the rmdir statements, because these directories did not exist, but this is after the initial build.  I'm wondering if these instructions are actually good for the new version of gcc, or if it is still decided to use 2.95.3 for the static build of gcc.  I'm not a programmer or linux guru by any means, but I do like to play with the new software and get a jump on things.  While I don't think there were any prolems with the gcc build process, I am unsure at this time.  Next, the errors I received when building ncurses acording to the current cvs book instructions:

In file included from /usr/include/g++-v3/backward/strstream:51,
                 from /usr/include/g++-v3/backward/strstream.h:33,
                 from ../c++/cursesw.h:17,
                 from ../c++/cursesw.cc:25:
/usr/include/g++-v3/backward/backward_warning.h:32:2: warning: #warning This file includes at least one deprecated or antiquated header. Please consider using one of the 32 headers found in section 17.4.1.2 of the C++ standard. Examples include substituting the <X> header for the <X.h> header for C++ includes, or <sstream> instead of the deprecated header <strstream.h>. To disable this warning use -Wno-deprecated.
../c++/cursesw.cc: In member function `int NCursesWindow::scanw(const char*,
   ...)':
../c++/cursesw.cc:55: no matching function for call to `std::strstreambuf::
   vscan(const char*&, char*&)'
../c++/cursesw.cc: In member function `int NCursesWindow::scanw(int, int, const
../c++/cursesw.cc:77: no matching function for call to `std::strstreambuf::
   vscan(const char*&, char*&)'
make[1]: *** [../obj_s/cursesw.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/lfs/ncurses-5.2/c++'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I have absolutely no Idea what it was lookin for...don't even know if the file exists..I'm assuming it does, however it seems that I should have done a little more research before posting.  At anyrate, has anyone seen this issue before me or does it look to be an isolated incident?  If so, any suggestions?

I'm not currently subscribed to lfs-dev..I'm doing that in a couple of minutes, so can I request that any replies (just for today) cc dj_me at swbell.net .

Thanks in advance

D.J. Lucas