keep-5-6-sep going in Monday'ish

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 21 05:39:54 PDT 2002

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 01:40:01PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
>  I'm all for cutting down the directories in /static, but I'm hoping that
> /static will give me somwhere to fall back to _when_ my root filesystem
> gets savaged either by experimental kernel changes, or by _this_ idiot
> getting hold of the root password!

The book won't be written for that, but you could expand on it and use it
as such.

>  I don't know if I'm understanding you correctly, but I'm intending to
> have /static/usr/share, /static/var, and /static/etc in _my_ system to
> assist recovery and to give me a _useful_ base from which to build new
> systems. And a few other packages too - e2fsprogs, less, vim, plus
> whatever I need to get `man' working. I just hope that the book doesn't
> diverge too much from a "regular" directory structure under /static.

What happens in the book is that ($LFS)/static will contain a chapter-5
system. When you enter chroot I won't even have $LFS/static be changed
ownerships so you could exit chroot easily, redo something in $LFS/static
and restart chapter 6 installation (though having a non-root userid for a
live system may not be the most sane thing especially if some user gets the
same id and all of the sudden gets write access to /static...)

>  Roll on Monday'ish.

It's Tuesday now and haven't committed anything yet. Still working out last
details what to do with temporary needed symlinks, and I got family over
yesterday. Kind of rude to send them away "sorry guys got LFS stuff to do".
My 3 and 4 year old nieces wouldn't forgive me ;)

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org