keep-5-6-sep going in Monday'ish

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Tue May 21 11:17:23 PDT 2002

On Tue, 21 May 2002 08:42:39 -0400 Gerard Beekmans
<gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 10:43:03AM -0400, Kevan Shea wrote:
> > When I did my last LFS I used the keep_separate hint, but I skipped
> > making the static mount and umount by just mounting proc before
> > chrooting.  I know it's probably not quite philosophically the same,
> > but it was a whole lot easier, and removed a package from the static
> > compile.
>
> I'm still a bit undecided on it. Either add it for philosopy reasons, or
> throw out philosophy for once to save two minutes of time. I think I'm
> keeping the static mount/umount though. Philosophy is winning it for me.

Although this is not directly book-related, the static mount is also
needed for the lfs_next_to_existing_systems hint and it's not unheard of
for someone to feel the need to mount something while building a chapter 6
system. Someone might want to mount devfs for instance rather than use
MAKEDEV. Speaking of MAKEDEV. I'd like to repeat my suggestion to use
make_devices instead because it's less opaque and has more teaching value.

MSB

--
goto doesn't screw up programs.
Programmers screw up programs.