keep-5-6-sep going in Monday'ish

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue May 21 13:39:13 PDT 2002

It is widely believed that on Tue, 21 May 2002, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> What happens in the book is that ($LFS)/static will contain a chapter-5
> system. When you enter chroot I won't even have $LFS/static be changed
> ownerships so you could exit chroot easily, redo something in $LFS/static
> and restart chapter 6 installation (though having a non-root userid for a
> live system may not be the most sane thing especially if some user gets the
> same id and all of the sudden gets write access to /static...)

I like the idea of letting people easily go back to fix chapter 5. I'd
like to see how it all looks before deciding who will end up owning
/static here. I haven't thought this through, and I'm frequently doing
test builds of chapter 5 as the same user (lfs). I guess that those of us
who want to keep /static around long-term will end up assigning it to
root.root (sorry, root:root according to earlier mails).

> >  Roll on Monday'ish.
>
> It's Tuesday now and haven't committed anything yet. Still working out last
> details what to do with temporary needed symlinks, and I got family over
> yesterday. Kind of rude to send them away "sorry guys got LFS stuff to do".
> My 3 and 4 year old nieces wouldn't forgive me ;)

Tuesday or Wednesday _is_ Monday'ish, at least for large values of
Monday. There are things outside LFS.

Ken
--
Listen to others, even to the dull and ignorant;
     for you too may be a Manager some day.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org