Ada, static chapter 5, and chapter 6

Michael Brömer mib at telebel.de
Thu May 23 03:00:53 PDT 2002

Am Donnerstag, 23. Mai 2002 11:12 schrieben Sie:
> If you have an Ada enabled compiler, and wish to build a new LFS
> with Ada built from scratch, then this has been tested.
>
> ...it should work with the Ada hint applied to the base system,
> but I have not tested this.
I did, works fine, thanks for the hint.

> Chapter 5
> ../gcc-3.1/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-languages=c,c++,ada \
>    --with-slibdir=/lib --disable-nls --disable-shared
> --enable-threads=posix &&
Any special reason for --with-slibdir=/lib instead of using
the default /usr/lib for the shared libgcc libraries in
chapter 5 and 6?

I do not build c++ in chapter 5, i do not think it is needed.

One other thing i have noticed is that the Ada part does not
like to be compiled using MAKE="make -jN". That causes a
considerable increase in installation time for gcc-3.1
on dual-cpu machines.

Time taken to install gcc-3.1 (from extracting the sourcetree
to deleting it after installation)

Chapter 5 just c        : 09m:06s (make -j2)
Chapter 5 c and ada     : 27m:11s

Chapter 6 c and c++     : 11m:57s (make -j2)
Chapter 6 all languages : 53m:50s

So its about an extra hour for the complete install of the
LFS system with gcc-3.1  (1h:10m vs. 2h:10m)

BTW: Do you use the ncurses patch with gcc-3.1?
I don't and everything works fine. I had to use it with
gcc-3.0.x but not with gcc-3.1. IIRC the ncurses patch
when used with gcc-2.95.3 broke other stuff like
gdb-5.1.1, cdparanoia-III-alpha9.8, grip-2.96. Is
this still the case with gcc-3.1?
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org