keep-5-6-sep going in Monday'ish

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Thu May 23 13:56:28 PDT 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002 16:18:14 -0400 Gerard Beekmans
<gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> In your hint you propose a series of package order installation changes
> to prevent hard-wiring of /static/bin/* files into the final installed
> programs. How recent is this list? A few packages have updated recently
> and I'm wondering if you kept track whether or not certain hard-wires
> are still taking place.

I haven't kept track off it. I don't expect things to have improved,
though. Dirty hacks are long-lived. However, testing this is not
difficult. Strip all symbols from everything then grep the whole /lfs for
/static (make sure you exclude /proc, reading some files there can cause
disk corruption!).

Speaking of this issue. Be sure to include a FAT WARNING that people must
not build chapter 6 packages in parallel. It's tempting to start compiling
the next package before the previous one has finished, but it can lead to
/static paths being hardwired.

MSB

--
He who SHOUTS is always wrong.