Duplicated files

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 23 16:34:19 PDT 2002

On Thu, 16, May, 2002 at 01:48:37PM -0400, Gerard Beekmans spoke thus..
> On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 08:11:53PM +0000, Christophe Devine wrote:
> > I've created a list of all the files which get overwritten during the
>
> The build is already optimized in such a way that the better versions are
> always overwriting other versions. Where it doesn't matter, we just let the
> alphabet decide (like we do with the 'kill' program).

Gerard, it's just occurred to me that there are two exceptions to the
"better versions" rule.  I say exceptions, I mean that I'm not entirely
clear which is better.

(from the page referenced above):

           file name             |  installed by   |  overwritten by
/usr/lib/libiberty.a             | gcc-2.95.3      |  binutils-2.12
/usr/bin/c++filt                 | gcc-2.95.3      |  binutils-2.12

IMO, libiberty probably isn't too big a problem but c++filt concerns me.
Can someone with better C++ knowledge than me clear up once and for all
(I'm sure we've discussed this before) which version should be used?

For something like demangling C++ symbols, I'd reckon that going with
the compiler supplied version would be better then the binutils version.
That may be wrong.

Can anyone clarify this?

Mark

markh at linuxfromscratch.org