Back...

Ian Molton spyro at armlinux.org
Thu May 23 17:29:16 PDT 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002 19:26:22 -0400

> > peak framerates with my Radeon DDR VIVO 64MB card in Quake3 with
> > sync off hit *400* FPS! (1024x768). (average is about 80FPS).
>
> Do I need to do anything special to turn sync off?

its in game options. to get >125 ish, there is an option you need to
edit in the Q3 config file...

> My FPS is stuck at
> 90 FPS in Quake3. It doesn't even fluctuate, it's a solid number,
> which makes it feel the card isn't taxed to it's limits and possibly
> can do more(GeForce2 Ti 64 MB DDR)

that card can /definately/ hit the 100FPS mark from time to time.

/constant/ 90 would surely be an error though - that seems too high for
some maps in Q3 - the framerate would normally dip in some areas.

> > kernel compile in 140 seconds (from a warm cache).
> >
> > Im back, riding atop a screaming monster! :)
>
> Welcome to the club.

The <200s linux compilation club? :-)

> I'm also quite content with my new beast (intel
> p4 2.2 ghz, pretty much the same performance as your xp1800 (if yours
> isn't better which it probalby is in terms of raw performance))

I have more number crunching power, you have (probably) better RAM
bandwidth.
I chose to trade the extra bandwidth for number crunching power as I
tend to use things that process a lot of data, not just fling it around.

Plus, I dont like intel ;-)

Enjoy your screaming beast too, :-)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org