Back...

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri May 24 04:36:04 PDT 2002

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 08:50:02AM +0100, Richard A Downing FBCS wrote:
> I hope and trust you are not going to assume Pentium class machines for LFS,
> my 33Mhz 16Meg 486 still runs very nicely - even if compiling Glibc takes
> most of the day, and the 14 inch VGA monitor can just manage 800x600!

I'm not going to assume any kind of platform for LFS. As long as a kernel
runs on it, LFS will work just fine. The only restriction/requirement is
the harddisk space. Glibc just takes a lot of space so building on a 500 MB
harddrive is going to be tough, but there's not a whole lot that we can do
about.

> It's all very well for you young fellas with deep pockets you know, but some
> of us oldies are retired and living on a pension...

My pockets are not deep. Not at all. I'm currently saving for a
cross-country move (I live in Ontario, Canada at the moment, me and my wife
want to move to Alberta before the year ends) which is going to be
expensive. I haven't bought a computer in years. My current computer (the
aforementioned P4) and my previous Celeron 533 Mhz were both donations from
happy LFS'ers. Same with the linuxfromscratch.org server - I didn't buy it,
it was a gift.

If it weren't for the donations I'd most likely still be on my old notebook
LFS was born on (a 233 Mhz machine with 64 MB RAM and 4 GB harddrive).

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org