keep-5-6-sep going in Monday'ish

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Fri May 24 07:08:26 PDT 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002 19:23:58 -0400 Gerard Beekmans
<gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 10:56:28PM +0200, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > /static (make sure you exclude /proc, reading some files there can
> > cause disk corruption!).
>
> That's interesting. Do you have more information on it?

Well, I didn't unmount /proc while doing a full scan of all files (as
root) and I got really nasty looking SCSI errors. I asked on the kernel
mailing list and they told me that some files in /proc MUST NOT be read
because they somehow interact with actual hardware registers. Apparently
this is considered a feature. Fortunately I didn't suffer from corruption
but as I understood the kernel guys I might have.

MSB

--
Modesty marks the wise.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org